Welcome to the website of the Croydon Astronomical Society
• This Saturday 27th August we have our society BBQ/Picnic at our observatory at Kenley, which is also being combined with a workday earlier in the day and solar observing throughout. We ask anyone who can volunteer to help with cleaning and odd maintenance jobs etc. We are likely to meet at 11 am with the BBQ lit sometime late afternoon, and continue with observing as it darkens. The day also coincides with a particularly close conjunction of Jupiter and Venus, which can be seen even in daylight.
• Our observatory at Kenley was open last night Thurs 11th August for the annual Perseid meteor shower (also open to the public). Many meteors were seen, especially after midnight. Details here.
Notification of all openings are given here, our forum, Facebook and a message on this telephone: 020 8668 9642.
Facilities at the observatory are hot water for drinks and wireless broadband Internet. A reminder that there is no parking at Kenley; visitors are asked to park at the off-road parking area just 4 minutes walk away at the RAF Kenley Tribute.
• The images to the right show the most recent by our members, mostly in the south London area. See the gallery for more details of these and other images.
• The Latest News page has new items (updated: 12th August).
• The Events page has new events (updated: 20th July).
• The Astronomy page now has links to what can be seen in the night sky right now, choosing a telescope and online calculators.
We also have an observatory, above, near Kenley aerodrome CR8 5EP. There is also a clubhouse for visiting groups, a kitchen for hot drinks and wireless broadband internet. Schedule meetings here are on some Friday nights for members only, and any Saturday night it is clear for the public as well. We notify just below when this is the case. Parking is nearby, off-road in Hayes Lane just a couple of hundred metres to the south at the Royal Air Force Kenley Tribute.
Founded as the Croydon Group of the Junior Astronomical Society on 5th May 1956, and becoming the Croydon Astronomical Society in 1965.
The Society holds lecture evenings at the Royal Russell School, Coombe Lane, Croydon, Surrey CR9 5BX. These are held every other Friday during school term time. More information on dates and our lectures are in the Meetings page. Lectures start at 7:45 pm and finish around 10 pm. There is free parking and very good public transport links.