• Our observatory at Kenley unfortunately will not be open this Saturday 23rd June due to unfavourable weather. However it will be open this Sunday24th June for the Solar SUNday event, with details in the Forthcoming Events section of the events page.
Details of the last openings here. Whenever open on a Saturday the public are welcome, just turn up. Here are details of particular events.
Meetings at the Royal Russell School
• The next meeting at the Royal Russell School is on Friday 6th July at 7:45 pm. Details, along with the schedule of dates and talks, can be seen here, which are updated as soon as they are known.
• The images to the right show the most recent by our members, mostly in the south London area. See the gallery for more details of these and other images.
• Photo Gallery updated 7th March with updates to existing galleries. Galleries can now be viewed across many browsers and devices.
• The Latest News page has new items (updated: 11th February).
• The Events page has new events (updated: 9th January). Observing events at Kenley, past and for the rest of the year.
• The Astronomy page now has links to what can be seen in the night sky right now, choosing a telescope, online calculators etc.
We also have an observatory, above, near Kenley aerodrome CR8 5EP. There is also a clubhouse for visiting groups, a kitchen for hot drinks and wireless broadband internet. Schedule meetings here are on some Friday nights for members only, and any Saturday night it is clear for the public as well. We notify just below when this is the case. Parking is nearby, off-road in Hayes Lane just a couple of hundred metres to the south at the Royal Air Force Kenley Tribute.
Our observatory at Kenley unfortunately will not be open this Saturday 23rd June due to unfavourable weather. However it will be open this Sunday24th June for the Solar SUNday event, with details in the Forthcoming Events section of the events page.
The last public opening was on the 2nd June when visitors saw (not everyone saw everything) the planets Venus, Jupiter, Saturn and Mars, the Moon and several deepsky objects.
Whenever open on a Saturday the public are welcome, just turn up. Here are details of particular events.
Founded as the Croydon Group of the Junior Astronomical Society on 5th May 1956, and becoming the Croydon Astronomical Society in 1965.
The Society holds lecture evenings at the Royal Russell School, Coombe Lane, Croydon, Surrey CR9 5BX. These are held every other Friday during school term time. More information on dates and our lectures are in the Meetings page. Lectures start at 7:45 pm and finish around 10 pm. There is free parking and very good public transport links.